What are the benefits of Reed Sensors?
Reed Sensors have been used as a successful switching and sensing technology for many years. Utilised across a broad range of applications, we look at some of the key benefits of the reed sensor:
- Non-touch switching solution – the sensors are embedded within a device offering better protection. They are less prone to damage as there is no physical interaction with the switch.
- Easy to assemble and position within an application. There are various assembly options available including snap fit, flatpack and through hole.
- Robust and reliable – reed sensors are encased, protecting the internal reed switch. They are IP67 rated and hermetically sealed making them highly suitable for hazardous and demanding environments.
- Low mechanical wear – because this is a non-touch switching technology, reed sensors have extremely low mechanical wear. Therefore, they have a very long operational life which in turn makes them an economical choice.
- Highly Efficient – a magnet changes the state of the reed switch so there is no power consumption. They have a much lower power consumption than other electronic switch options.
- Various Magnetic Sensitivity Ranges – no two designs are the same so it is important the right sensitivity is selected for particular applications. An example of standard AT or pull in ranges are listed below:
1 = 10 to 15 AT
2 = 15 to 20 AT
3 = 20 to 25 AT
AT refers to Ampere Turns which is a standard unit categorising the magnetic sensitivity of a sensor.
- Highly Customisable – the challenges of individual designs mean that standard sensors may not be suitable. An important benefit of reed sensors is that they can be customised in a variety of ways. Customer-specific modifications include the choice of cable length and colour, the attachment of terminals or connectors, the use of special materials (e.g. for a higher temperature range) or the complete design and manufacture of individual Sensor housings.
As we have seen, there are many benefits of Reed Sensors. They offer a versatile and economic switching solution, suitable for a wide variety of applications. Alan Butcher Components supplies reed sensors manufactured by PIC GmbH, a highly respected producer of sensor products.
Visit our website to view a selection of the most popular products – https://www.abcomponents.co.uk/product-category/magnetic-reed-switches-sensors/. You can also find out more by clicking the following link to the PIC website – https://www.pic-gmbh.com/en/reed-sensors
For sales or technical assistance, please contact us on 01258 456360 or email email@example.com. We will be happy to help!